History

Previously run as a hunting camp in the early 1950’s, the property was purchased in 1958 by Roy and Becky Chambers. They restored the camp and opened the Flying V Guest Ranch in 1966. After 20 years in operation, Roy and Becky sold to the late Karl Weber and his wife Tina, who continued with the tradition of guest ranching, opening the Gros Ventre River Ranch in 1987.

The ranch had a brush with disaster in 1925 when a nearby mountain collapsed in a massive landslide. The town of Kelly, downriver from the Ranch, was nearly wiped out and even Jackson, 18 miles distant, had knee-deep mud in the streets. The slide formed a dam across the Gros Ventre River, creating Slide Lake. The slide path is still easily recognizable today at the eastern ridge of the ranch.

The Gros Ventre River Ranch continues to remain in the family. Along with Tina, daughter Tori and son-in-law Sean McGough handle the daily operations. We pride ourselves in maintaining the wonderful traditions of the western culture and sharing our love for the ranching lifestyle with our guests, and preserving the history of the Gros Ventre River Ranch helps us do just that!